- NKN R&D team continues to improve stability and scalability of NKN core software including rewriting the core p2p networking stack and publish as a separate package called nnet
- The public testnet reached a new record high of over 4,000 nodes
- NKN and IoTeX unveils more details about the joint IoT solution for the smart home
- NKN showcase in TIP Summit 2018 London
- NKN speaks at TC3 Summit Silicon Valley
- NKN announced partnership with Portal Network to develop NKN Name Service and associated tool suite to enable fast adoption by developers and users.
Rewriting and open source p2p network layer nnet
We have completely rewritten and abstracted our p2p network layer into an independent, easy-to-use package nnet which can be found at https://github.com/nknorg/nnet . It can be used to build any p2p system with minimal effort to maintain topology, message sending and handling by just providing a few middlewares. Examples on how to use it can be found at https://github.com/nknorg/nnet/tree/master/examples . We have integrated nnet into NKN core repo.
Github source code development progress
NKN testnet code development progress over the last two weeks is mainly reflected in the following two code repositories: nkn, nkn-wallet-js.
First, the nkn core repository: v0.3.18 is a fairly stable release. In comparison with prior fast iterations, this version indicates R&D progress is starting to converge.
NKN Testnet v0.3.18-alpha
- Add getaddressbyname RPC for NameService;
- Detect & remind latest version from https://github.com/nknorg/nkn/releases before launch nknd;
- Detect and revert the forked blockchain.
Second, we further improved nkn-wallet-js repository:
- add registerName and deleteName；
- update dist files.
NKN testnet reaches over 4000 nodes
The NKN public testnet reached a new historical record of 4,220 nodes observed on 10/17/2018. Out of these nodes, only 240 were deployed by the NKN project team. This indicates that 94% of the test nodes were contributed by the NKN community.
IoTeX Partnership: details about joint solution
NKN and IoTeX have announced a joint collaboration to offer smart home device connectivity and management powered by blockchain. This partnership combines NKN’s highly scalable peer-to-peer communications network together with IoTeX’s blockchain protocol and smart contract capabilities to create a new trust and automation framework for short-term home rentals.
At the TIP (Telecom Infra Project) Summit in London, we showed a live demo of our smart home solution. This demo shows how NKN can play an essential role in smart home infrastructure. a Click here to view the live demo given by NKN’s own Yilun Zhang explaining how this new IoT solution works.. You can also click here to learn more about the joint solution between NKN and IoTex and how we worked together to create the smart home for the Airbnb of the future.
NKN showcase in TIP Summit London
- Telecom Infra Project is a collaborative telecom community founded by Facebook, together with leading telecom operators, equipment vendors and research institutes. TIP Summit is the ultimate annual conference to showcase the latest solutions and products.
- NKN is a Silver Sponsor of the TIP Summit 2018 London.
- NKN showcases its overall technology vision, telecom use cases, public testnet, and several live demos including IoT solution for smart homes (in collaboration with IoTeX), 3D peer to peer gaming, and embedded miner with home WiFi router.
- NKN team met delegates from many participating companies including Facebook, BT, Telefonica, Tech Mahindra, Ofcom, MobileEdgeX, OpenSignal, Nokia, Redhat, Huawei, and Zeetta Networks.
For more details, please check out our blog post on Medium:
NKN Speaks at TC3 Summit in Silicon Valley
On October 17th, NKN’s Allen Dixon, VP of Business Development, was invited to speak at the 2018 Telecom Council Carrier Connections (TC3) Summit located at the Juniper Networks Aspiration Dome in sunnyvale, CA. NKN was selected out of more than 100 applicants to participate as part of the Service Provider Forum Innovation Review which gives early stage startups an opportunity to pitch their solutions to carriers from around the world. In NKN’s session, there were panelists from AT&T, US Cellular, Tata Communications and JT. The presentation was met with positive reviews as well as additional engagements from many of the more than 40 telcos that attended the event.
Blockchain in Telecom was one of the main topics at TC3 this year, with many major telecoms collaborating with companies like NKN to address issues such as mobile payments, roaming, and IoT. Telcos are evaluating blockchain use cases with some of the first PoCs expected in late 2018–2019 time frame. NKN is in a good position to tackle these challenges given our highly scalable architecture and lightweight p2p networking stack.
Addressing the Telco market is a medium to long term vision for NKN. TC3 highlights the need for blockchain powered network solutions and NKN offers a solution that, not only helps ISPs, but enables better connectivity for its customers. We continue to collaborate with service providers as well as organizations such as the Telecom Infra Project (TIP) and Open Network Foundation (ONF) to create new blockchain powered telco solutions.
NKN Partners with Portal Networks for Name Service
We are honored to announce that NKN and Portal Network have signed a strategic partnership agreement to build the NKN Name Service (NKN-NS). This is our dedication to enhance and provide a seamless blockchain environment for NKN users and foster the growth for the NKN ecosystem.
Portal Network has been constantly working on Blockchain Name Services (BNS) governed by smart contract on multiple blockchain protocols. NKN-NS is a domain name service deployed on top of NKN blockchain. This naming service will be governed by smart contract in order to transform the default complicated blockchain addresses on NKN into human-readable text such as ‘chris.nkn’. It is quite convenient for users who can transfer and manage their digital assets on NKN with easy and straightforward names.
Testnet V0.5 Koala Release: October 31st, 2018
Please watch our official github repository:
AMA with NKN founders and team: early November TBD
This will be a hybrid offline and online event. Please submit your questions already now:
NKN is a new kind of network connectivity protocol & ecosystem powered by blockchain for an open, decentralized, and shared Internet. By tokenizing the network layer, NKN is providing the missing third pillar of internet infrastructure. Just as Ethereum has done for compute and Filecoin for storage, NKN will decentralize network connectivity and transmission.